John's amp setup

Talk About Bass.

John's amp setup

Postby docbop » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:55 pm

John, I hear your bass and it is very bright and clear. On recordings it is well defined, fat, and punchy. I was wondering what your amp setup is to get such big sound from a bright bass. I assume you are fatting the sound at the effects/amp and not rolling off the tone on the bass.
docbop

Postby johnh » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:14 pm

Hey Dicbop,
About your bridge question I think we'll have to hope someone else has the answer because I really don't know! I never got as deep into the mechanics of the instrument as say Scott or Gary Willis.
I was using the mute quite a bit on the live album- may have overdone it in fact. But I frequently am adding some mute with my left hand- like Rocco Prestia. That might be the tone you're thinking of- where it's fat and percussive. In a situation like this- where Scott is improvising as much harmonically as melodically- I end up focusing on and having fun with the rhythmic side of things.
At home and on the last few recordings I use my AMP BH-420, an old relic from the 80s that Russ Allee invented and produced for a while. I was using Golliath ll cabs but recently switched to an Ampeg 8-10 cab.
What about you? What are you up to. How about a link?
Take Care,
John
Last edited by johnh on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnh
Site Admin

Postby docbop » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks John the muting would explain the fat punchy sound. The playing more rhythmic since Scott more harmonically and melodically is a good tip. Does Scott reharmonize/change things a lot on stage, that would keep you on your toes keeping up with that.

I never heard of the Russ Allee amps, but if you find something good why stop using it. I put got a new amp recently and really like probably not enough volume to play Fusion, but handle my stuff. It is one of the new Markbass LM II heads. Has 500w but really transparent tone I run it flat 95% of the time. Then I got a Epifani UL310 cabinet. It can handle a lot of power if need be, but I want small and light to fit in my car. The cabinet is fantasic sounding, very clear, punchy, plenty of bottom for my 5-string. I took a long time to decide on a cabinet and really happy with my choice.

I don't have a link, don't play at that level yet. Gimme time.

Thanks again for the reply.
Steve Barnette
The Dojo of Cool
------------------------------------------
Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the Preacher.
docbop

Postby johnh » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Actually yes, Scott reharms a lot in his solos. Especially something like Lady P- he's all over the place. I try to stay out of the way by playing around in the rhythmic side of things.
I've heard great things about the Epifani cabinets but had mixed luck with the Mark Bass heads in Europe- I had a brand new one go south on me a few weeks into a tour. But I liked the tone. We were using the Mark Bass cabs too which are a lot more fun at load in.
Take Care,
John
johnh
Site Admin

Return to Bass Stuff